Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The speed of light society.

There's no doubt that the one recurring theme in today's America is obesity speed. Everything has to be fast: fast cars, fast service, fast sex food. People are always in a rush, even when they have nowhere to be (I've admittely been guilty of such). We exceed the speed limit, tailgate, get angry when our waitress forgot something small and has to run back to the kitchen to get it, complain loudly when our meal takes more than ten minutes, and make those annoyed sighing sounds when someone takes too long to pay for their groceries and holds up the line all of four seconds. Look, lady, I don't care if you're seventy and have a broken leg but still have to take care of your ailing husband and your granddaughter's year old love child -- I GOT SHIT TO DO!

Okay, so I might be exaggerating. A little. Maybe.... or maybe not at all. Either way, food and driving and such are not the only things that are moving too fast for my tastes. There are also the big Rs.

RELATIONSHIPS.

Remember back in the sixties? Women used to wear those stupid poodle skirts and short-sleeved sweaters (who ever invented those ridiculous things?), and guys used to slick back their hair and dress nice:

Photobucket
(This picture is not actually from the sixties, and I didn't get him to sign a release, so let's hope he doesn't deny the verbal agreement and sue me. Handsome, though, ain't he? :-D )

Back then, people used to do this thing called dating. I know that may sound kind of foreign to some of you, but listen here: it exists! No, no, it's not the same as "going out" -- going out suggests an exclusive relationship. See, dating is just what it sounds like - going on dates! You go on dates, get to know each other, and then decide if you want to begin an actual relationship.

Yes, yes, I realize that sounds old fashioned and boring. But let me tell you -- it's a lot easier to stop seeing someone you're not interested in if you're just dating, as opposed to having to go through the break-up process. Easier and less emotionally messy.

All I'm saying is slow the hell down, people. There's absolutely no reason to leap headfirst into a relationship with someone you hardly know just because you "kinda had fun together that one time." I'm just saying it's a little quick to go out once, then talk about moving in together and all the children you'll have and where you'll live and what the wedding will be like.

Puke sequence activated: *gag*

What ever happened to taking the time to get to know someone? To enjoy their company for a while before putting all the pressure of a relationship on the two of you? I happen to find that taking things slow makes me like a person so much more than if we jump right into it (in all honesty, if things move that fast, I often lose interest). A little mystery adds an element of excitement to everything! Not knowing when you'll see each other next adds a bit of sweet longing for that next meeting!

Does anyone follow me? At all?

Eh, screw you guys. You're all dirty whores.

5 comments:

Bad Blogger said...

While I've been known to drive fast, I'm perpetually the one behind in the whole emotional messy whatnot that is relationships.

So very far behind and so terribly naive.

I'm the one that told you "Run, Jamie, Run like hell. This is too fast. Abort the mission."

Squeaker said...

And a solid bit of advice it is, my dear.

Anonymous said...

i concure...completely...its like what i said about your last entry. people have to try and be happy, and that includes slowing the hell down to look at the flowers and wildbirds.... sure that might make one late for work but they probably hate their jobs anyway....i feel like one of the disadvantages of americas general frame of mind is that whole bigger better faster stronger crap....thats the thought that makes people think 'i must produce!...more more more more'...to quote a folk singer gordon bok... its not just what your born with, its what you choose to bear; its not how large your share is, but what you choose to share; its not the fights you dream of, its those you really fought; its not just what your given its what ya do with what ya got...

Squeaker said...

Thanks for the comments, Niky. I've really missed you. And I'm a whore for feedback, haha.

Anonymous said...

hah im enjoying this quite a bit myself....