Monday, July 14, 2008

Fuses and breakfast and cloudy days.

I set my alarm for 6:30am, as I always do. But when it went off at 6:22am (I set my clock to be 6-8 minutes fast for some reason), I did not get up. No, I reset it for 7am and went back to sleep for a useless half hour.

I realize for most people, that's not a big deal, but I, while not being a morning person, am one of those people that's on their feet the moment the alarm sounds. So for me to reset it to a later time was very unusual, and only means I was very, very tired because I was out being irresponsible until 2:30am.

Anyway, this development has, thus far, thrown my entire day off. Whenever I don't sleep enough, I wake up famished, so my first thought after some angry, I-hate-life-right-now cursing was FOOD. I stumbled downstairs, filled a mug with water, threw in a teabag, and popped it into the microwave. Before I could even push the 2 button, the electromagnetic static jumped from my finger to the machine and the power suddenly decided it wanted to fuck with me, too. Everything in the kitchen turned off.

I've only had a frown to rival this morning's once or twice ever.

I lean to my left and reach around the corner to flick the bathroom lights. Nothing. Is it the whole house? No, definitely not, I can hear the fan in the living room still on. The 'fridge is still running so I went to go catch it. I go back upstairs and find that EVERYTHING in my room is off. Everything, even my computer (a surge protector won't save you from power outages).

At this point, I am pissed. No microwave for tea, no computer for entertainment while I drink it, and no power for the flatiron so I don't look like I stuck my finger in an electrical socket (the humidity does it to me). Everything I start my morning with is out of service.

I have realized by this point that I have blown the fuse that controls the northern side of my house. Problem is, I'm a super chick when it comes to matters like this -- I have no idea how to change a fuse.

..... *Continues being pissed and eats cold cereal*

As it turns out, in our house, you don't even have to change the fuses, or something. There's a switch that you flick once, then flick back on, and magically the lights return. That's it. I almost missed my morning tea, left the house late, arrived at work less early than usual, and now cannot focus on anything (it's seriously taken me forty minutes to write this little post). And all I had to do was go into the basement and flick a stupid switch.

Seriously. I'll never be able to live alone.




Note: I realize that I changed tenses at least once or twice. Here's the thing: I don't care I'm tired and cranky. Leave me alone.

No comments: