Sunday, February 3, 2008

Conflict of Interest

Please do not ask what's going on in this picture -- I don't think I'd want to explain even if I could.

Okay, so by now, I think it's pretty obvious that I'm a bit of a tomboy. I'll certainly admit it without hesitation.

To the left is a picture of me from this past December, at a party Bob threw for his brother. I am holding the Christmas pig, whose wing was later broken. It was a tragedy.

Anyway, the point of my rambling is to point out how I am dressed here. Jeans and a long-sleeved tee shirt (which was not actually mine, hence why it was a little over-sized for me). You can be sure I was wearing sneakers underneath it all, too.

Skipping along...





Here's a picture of me from two summers ago. Note the Volcom hat, ONeil boardshorts, and Vans sneakers (please do not note the black bra -- I don't know what possessed me to do that). This is the style I ultimately prefer. I know it's not the most figure-flattering, attractive outfit, but I'm not aiming to look good; I just want to wear what I like.

Photobucket


So for my new job, I'm supposed to wear "smart casual." I cringed when I heard the phrase. I like doing cross-sections and comparisons, so here we go:

Photobucket Photobucket
What I like.........................What they want


One more, just for fun, and because this amuses me, if no one else:
Photobucket Photobucket
Good.........................................................Bad


You see my conundrum, don't you? Dressing nice is lame. Why go out and spend hundreds of dollars on nice clothes, when you can get something comfortable for like $50? I guess I'll just never understand fashion. Or people.

Oh well. You do what you gotta.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy dressing nice. Even a nice shirt with a tie is fine with me, as long as the occasion fits the outfit.

Byrne said...

Just think of how much more comfortable your every day clothes will become.

I'm a fan of dressing up for work as well, I had to do it everyday in DC, but after 3 weeks the novelty wore off and the last thing I wanted to do was put on a damned tie.

But hey, do what ya gotta do.

Byrne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I used to be casual until I landed in office job. I hated the dress change but after a while, it became me. You'd be surprised the adjustments one makes. Besides, once you get into your 20's, maybe it's time we all grow out of our comfort zones.

Bob Coughlin said...

You know my thoughts. You go girl.

Anonymous said...

I think transitioning out of a comfort zone is a tough thing to do at first, especially if you're used to an extremely casual look. You may find you prefer that look once you spend some time in it. Don't knock it so soon! You're a good looking girl, I think a new look may truly flatter you. Then again, you can only look as good as you are comfortable. Find something that both suits and flatters you.

Squeaker said...

As written by a true woman.

And thanks for the compliments, haha. We missed you around here.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with the other people who have posted here. It may not be within your comfort zone now but that's not to say it both can and won't be. It's always weird to try something you haven't but isn't that how we find new interests? If you never took any chances and pushed your own limits, you would never evolve. It's not about following the masses, it's about trying new things.

Anonymous said...

I say wear whatever you want when you're home but be professional where you need to be. Most people have a work thing and a home thing, it's really quite normal. I wouldn't stress about it.